Tuesday, January 15, 2013

In The Corner at the Dance flash fiction

In Between Altered States Magazine is a free on-line publication which features the surreal and the bizarre in flash fiction format. It's a great experience created and maintained by Ms. Aleathia Drehmer, herself a fine writer, and I've looked forward to each new episode ever since I learned of the magazine's existence. My own surreal little offering, `In The Corner at the Dance', was featured in the last episode. The link to the story is here: http://inbetweenalteredstates.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/in-the-corner-at-the-dance-by-joshua-j-mark/

In case the link doesn't work, the piece is here below:

In The Corner at the Dance by Joshua J. Mark


I’m in a land of porcupines with bristling bodies and all eyes. They move before me in circles but never touch me, banging solidly against each other. I see the guy who loves his pistol and always polishes it and if a girl defeats him he lets her die. The mosquito dude lets you live but you lose your hopeful berry. Then there’s iron neck guy who’s worse than triangle head and as I’m watching them all I’m thinking `What’s that horrible music in the background? And who started all of this?’

Lollipops with musical notes on them float above my head. I’m sitting in a puddle of I don’t know and I don’t know why when here comes the Danger Clown swinging across the floor toward Godiva who stands impassively and doesn’t even shake her head when he shimmies up to her.

There seems no really controlling any of this.

If anyone could see me I would feel unwelcome here. I’d feel like a complete creep. Confetti leaves of artificial trees dance down delicately between me and the world. Another porcupine boy, all hands and eyes on stilt legs, asks the chair beside me to dance. She smiles and shakes her head. He says, “But you need to. We have to get out of here” and she shrugs and takes his hand. He yanks her to her feet and pulls her from the room. Everyone is still banging into each other wide-eyed. It’s not so much a dance as a collision. My mushroom silence strands me safely. The band plays as the room rises and falls.





No comments:

Post a Comment